tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 07 15:05:25 1997

RE: EXP Transmission

   QInvam ngeHta' *Dawut*:

	Greetings.

	I am forwarding to this list a transcript of a communiqu� sent
by the
	people of the Las Vegas Hilton's Star Trek: The Experience (tm).
They
	have sent this to all Trek enthusiasts who registered for email
updates.
	The text appears in both Federation Standard (English) and
tlhIngan Hol
	(Klingon).  The communiqu� transcript follows:

> /\/\/\/\/\/\BEGIN TRANSCRIPT/\/\/\/\/\/\
>
> > INCOMING KLINGON TRANSMISSION
>
> **** tlhIngan De' ****
>
> tera' poH jaj wa', jar wa', jaj loSDIch, DIS wa'-Hut-Hut-chorgh:
> HovpoHvetlh latlh nab yIHutlh.

   This sentence is an interesting twist on the English translation - it
shows that this isn't just a word-for-word translation that sometimes
pops up, but rather a rewording of the concept.

> laS veghaS HIltonDaq Hov leng: yIjeSchu' qaSchoHmo', bIlopqu'meH
> HIlton
> yIghoS.

   Hmmm... It seems that {laS veghaS HIltonDaq Hov leng: yIjeSchu'} is
supposed to mean "Star Trek: The Experience." (note the action-oriented
{yIjeSchu'} here - none of that {jeSchu'ghach} stuff.  I like this
verb-centric approach.)  However, it seems that {laS veghaS HIltonDaq
Hov leng: yIjeSchu'} should be the subject of {qaSchoHmo'}.  Otherwise,
it means "because [he/she/it] starts to happen Star Trek: The
Experience, at the Las Vegas Hilton."  I don't know why it's in the
object position.

> tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bIyIn jeSlaHpa' Hoch.
>
> DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'Daq Dajollu'.
>
> loghDaq lupDujHom qoDDaq bIlengtaHvIS, nIbuQbogh novpu' DaSuv.
>
> quwargh tach Qe' je qoDDaq Hov leng Soj DatIv.
>
> jolbogh ghom wa'DIch DamuvlaHmeH De' DaneHchugh, Se'vam yIjIHtaH.

[English translation cut]

> qoD = ??? / qoDDaq = ???
> (BTW, I don't have KGT yet, do these appear in KGT?)

   Indeed, this does appear in KGT.  qoD means inside/interior, which
makes perfect sense to me where it's used in this message.

	I did not understand the Klingon beginning at first, but after
comparing
	it to the English and consulting TKD, I got it; but I don't
think I like
	it.  Is that the correct way to refer to a year?
	<wa'-Hut-Hut-chorgh> instead of
	<wa'SaD Hutvatlh HutmaH chorgh>?

> Klingon Ambassador,
> *Dawut*
> [email protected]

   From what we've seen on the SkyBox cards, stardates and terran years
are given in this format (single digits without the number-forming
elements).  Check out the SkyBox text from S33 in HolQeD 6.2 p. 9, and
the bottom of HolQeD 4.3 p. 5.
This Klingon translation seems, at least to me, to be nearly perfect.
Aside from the odd positioning of {laS veghaS HIltonDaq Hov leng:
yIjeSchu'}, the feel of the text seems very Okrandish.  Using some new
vocab (qoD, Hutlh) that isn't in TKD, the use of earth dates that is
consistent with other canonical text, and the fact that the original
English message hasn't been translated word-for-word suggests to me that
Okrand wrote the Klingon text.
   Assuming this, we find that in the sentence {tera' vatlh DIS poH
cha'maH loS bIyIn jeSlaHpa' Hoch} any time period apparently can act as
an adverbial (i.e., not just {DaH}, {wa' ben}, {cha'leS}, etc.).
Although I think we knew this already, it suggests that we don't need to
use {qaStaHvIS} for time as much as I think we've been doing.  That is,
rather than saying {qaStaHvIS wej rep, jIQong} we might be able to say
just {wej rep jIQong}.  The verb {qaS} might be used best when referring
to events, as seen above in {laS veghaS HIltonDaq Hov leng: yIjeSchu'
qaSchoHmo'}.  The only other canon that I know of that uses [{qaStaHvIS}
+ a time period] is in {qaStaHvIS wa' ram, loS SaD Hugh SIjlaH qetbogh
loD}, and in this case I look at {wa' ram} as focusing on the continuing
passage of time, rather than on when the man slits the throats.
  And, we get the canonical spelling of Quark, too!

-Tad Stauffer
[email protected]
{reH Suvrup SuvwI''a'}
"A great warrior is always prepared."