tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 07 00:17:59 1997

Re: {-lI'}

At 18:56 97-11-04 -0800, you wrote:
}
}
}
}        qoror here.  I would like to offer an opinion.  I've noticed that
}often when there's a KLBC message with {-lI'} on a verb with something
}inanimate as the subject.  Usually the Grammarian replies something like
}"Does this [thing] really have free will and intentions of its own?"

*I* don't say that.  Do I?  I would say {bIrchoHlI' lom} or {DejlI' HuD}
with absolutely no implication that either was intentional on anyone's part.

}offer that it is *not* necessarily the subject be the vay' with the
}"definite end in mind."  (That's not from TKD, it's just firmly implanted
}in my mind.)  It says in TKD that it's the *activity* that has the definite
}end in mind.  There is nothing in 4.2.7 that suggests or implies that it is
}the *subject* that is intending.  TKD offers {chollI'} as an example and
}suggests the subject might be a missile.  Carrying this a short step
}farther, say something with {-lI'} is in a story and an inanimate object as
}the subject.  It might  not necessarily be someone else in the story that's
}doing the expecting, it could just be the reader.

Qov     [email protected]
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level