tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 06 21:34:04 1997

RE: RE: plans

[email protected] on behalf of William H. Martin wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Nov 1997 05:56:51 -0800 (PST) David Trimboli
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > [email protected] on behalf of David Crowell wrote:
> > [other examples cut]
> > > Huch nge'bogh ghot Sovbe' Human 'ach Huch nge' 'Iv 'e' Sov Human.
> > > Paris doesn't know the one who took the money but Paris knows who took
> > > the money.
> >
> > Is there a difference in *meaning* between these two sentences?  I cannot
> > detect any, beyond the possible number of theives in each one.
>
> Well, *I* detect a difference in meaning:

I wasn't referring to the Klingon sentences, but to the English ones, and not
to what it ended up saying, but to the intended meaning behind it.  And now
that I've done a little research on this, I believe that the "who" in the
first part is a simple relative, and the second is a compound relative.

SuStel
Stardate 97851.4

Back to archive top level