tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 06 19:26:28 1997

Re: RE: plans

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997 05:56:51 -0800 (PST) David Trimboli
<[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] on behalf of David Crowell wrote:
> [other examples cut]
> > Huch nge'bogh ghot Sovbe' Human 'ach Huch nge' 'Iv 'e' Sov Human.
> > Paris doesn't know the one who took the money but Paris knows who took
> > the money.
>
> Is there a difference in *meaning* between these two sentences?  I cannot
> detect any, beyond the possible number of theives in each one.

Well, *I* detect a difference in meaning:

Huch nge'bogh ghot Sovbe' Human.

"The human did not know the person who took away the money."

Huch nge' 'Iv 'e' Sov Human.

Well, this is actually gibberish. "The human knew who took the
money?" Note the question mark. That question mark has to come
across in the translation and it makes no sense there because
the intent is to use the question as a relative clause, using
the question word {'Iv} as the relative pronoun "who", which
does not exist in Klingon.

> SuStel
> Stardate 97849.6

charghwI's