tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 06 14:52:08 1997

Re: Sentence as Object

ghItlh ghunchu'wI'
>"I don't know who ate the chocolate."  ** THERE IS NO QUESTION HERE! **
>There is a statement which can be broken down into "I don't know X" where
>X represents "the person who ate the chocolate".  The English word "who"
>in this sentence is *not* asking a question.  It does *not* carry the same
>idea as the Klingon word {'Iv}.  "Who" here is an English relative pronoun
>whose meaning is carried in Klingon grammar by the verb suffix {-bogh}.

toHHHH!!  I had been undecided on this for a while, but I grasped that the
logic on the side of this construction was pretty shaky.  I sided against
it, uneasily, but *now* I understand why not to do this.  You have finally
made me grasp it, ghunchu'wI'.  qatlho'.
Qapla'
qoror

Back to archive top level