tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 06 07:11:02 1997

Re: bIchuSchoHqu''a'

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997, Susan Farmer wrote:

> >ja' Joel Peter Anderson <[email protected]>:
> >>   "Love is patient and is kind;  love doesn't envy. Love doesn't brag,
> >>   is not proud, doesn't behave itself inappropriately, doesn't seek its
> >>   own way, is not provoked, takes no account of evil;  doesn't rejoice in
> >>   unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth;  bears all things,
> >>   believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things..."
> >

> >On further reflection, if you absolutely must try to find a single noun
> >in the Klingon vocabulary to express the concept that is so wordily and
> >carefully explained in the above quote, I can think of one that fits it
> >quite well.  Please don't dismiss it immediately; consider it fully and
> >try to see what you get if you substitute it for the word "love" above.
> >
> >The word is {batlh}.
> >

> IMHO an *excellect* suggestion.

Joel's two bit theory of why using the (possibly) wrong word is good:

If I'd used a word that no one took issue with, would we have had this
interesting discussion?  Another reason I use "parmaq" in the quote is,
if-and-when anyone asks about it, it provides an opportunity to discuss
the history of par'Mach -> parmaq, the sources for tlhIngan Hol
vocabulary, the slow move of tlhIngan Hol from an idolect to language and
so forth.

	YMMV
   ,'._   Dochvam 'oH vuDwIj'e'.  pImlaH vuDlIj.   ,'._

** joel anderson * [email protected] * http://umn.edu/~joela **
    *** QI'tu' Holmey ghot Holmey je vIlo'chugh, ***
 *** 'ach parmaq  vIghajbe'chugh, vaj jIchuSchoHqu' ***
  *** [email protected]   ****  [email protected] ***

Back to archive top level