tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 06 05:50:18 1997

RE: Mole's tale

[email protected] on behalf of Marian Schwartz wrote:
> ghItlh SuStel
> >bISuvchu'jaj, pagh!
> >Fight well, Eric!
>
> Remember -- KGT tells us that {Suv} and some other verbs of battle like
> {Hay'}, when used with {-chu'}, mean "to the death."  (Of course, there is
> no telling whether SuStel's translation and "to the death" aren't that
> similar... it could be argued that "well" and "to the death" are similar
> concepts.

I had this in mind when I wrote it.  As I admitted before, I wrote the Klingon
first, and then translated it into English.  Saying "Fight to the death,
Eric!" doesn't flow too well, and "May you fight to the death!" sounds
stilted, so I made it "Fight well!"  I was going for sentences with the same
effect on the listener, not word-for-word translations.

SuStel
Stardate 97849.5

Back to archive top level