tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 05 23:31:29 1997

Re: Question as object

In a message dated 97-11-04 15:15:14 EST, pagh writes:

<< A question in Klingon is a request for information. I know of no
 evidence that Klingon uses questions for anything else. I have used
 rhetorical questions in my own writing (not, mind you, in a question as
 object), but I have never seen them in canon.

 How does this request for information behave when acting as a noun? It
 cannot still be requesting information from the listener; the sentence
 is no longer a question (or if it is, it is a different question). So
 does a question act like its own answer? I simply cannot accept that. >>

What a lot of reader's of Klingon grammar rules as laid out in TKD 6.2.5
appear to be overlooking is that we do not have to be concerned with what
type of sentence is used as the object when referred to by {'e'}.  The
section clearly points out that a whole "sentence" is the object.  We do not
have to consider what words make up that sentence.

Or, are those of you who arguing that a question does not seem correct as the
object of an {'e'} referral claiming that a question is not a sentence?  Why
must you think that a parallel sentence must exist for the sentence to
qualify as a sentence?

peHruS

Back to archive top level