tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Nov 05 23:21:59 1997

Re: Sentence as Object

In a message dated 97-11-04 14:39:01 EST, charghwI' writes:

<< It all comes down to function. What is {'e'} representing? In a
 true Sentence As Object construction, it represents the entire
 first sentence. In a Questionn As Object construction, it
 really represents the question word which is acting as a head
 noun for a relative clause. The question wrapped around your
 question word is really a relative clause in every functional
 sense of the term. You are merely expressing it with the wrong
 syntax. >>

You know, charghwI', I really like the way you put forth the argument in the
abovementioned paragraph.  It is a twisted way of SUPPORTING my argument.

Take careful note of the following:

According to TKD, Sentence As Object is that which {'e'} represents.  TKD
does NOT say that the sentence must be a statement, nor that it must not be a
question.  TKD explicitly states that the "sentence" is the object.

We do not need to take just one word of the first sentence and say that the
Klingon pronoun {'e'} does/does not refer to it.  {'e'} refers to the first
sentence, in its entirety, no matter what kind of sentence that is.

That is the beauty.  Klingon does not even follow the same thinking patterns
English grammar does.  (Grammar is a word you use.)

Okay, we need to follow grammar.  I am pointing out that the grammar rule for
Klingon grammarians really has been recorded for us in TKD.

peHruS

Back to archive top level