tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 04 21:19:58 1997

RE: KLBC: verb suffix on noun ?

ja' SuStel:
>[email protected] on behalf of Alan Anderson wrote:
>> {vI'} is specifically "decimal point".  The dot in "3.3.5" is merely a
>> separator; I think {DoD} is more appropriate here (even if it might be
>> a colloquialism).
>
>{DoD} is specifically "mark (in coordinates)," and we're not talking about
>coordinates.  I don't see that either one is correct.  Or, to put it another
>way, what makes this use of {DoD} a colloquialism, and a similar use of {vI'}
>not one?

My view is that "mark (in coordinates)" is a separator, and the section
numbering in the dictionary can be considered as coordinates.  {DoD} is
arguably appropriate here; I hope everyone can accept the argument as a
valid one, even if they disagree with it.  A decimal point indicates the
boundary between integer and fraction parts in a digital representation
of numbers, and while the section labels do follow a numerical sequence,
they aren't really numbers.  And there is *never* more than one decimal
point in a number.

I've got no problems pronouncing an IP address like 128.0.0.1 as
{wa' cha' chorgh DoD pagh DoD pagh DoD wa'}.  Most people pronounce this
use of "." with the word "dot", not "point".

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level