tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 03 20:26:09 1997

Re: KLBC naDev jIchu'

On Sun, 2 Nov 1997 18:36:31 -0800 (PST) [email protected] wrote:

> In a message dated 97-10-31 23:16:40 EST, Qov replies:
>
> << <wo'rIv ghawran je. tlhIngan maH!> vIt wa' tlhIngan.
>  }"Worf and Gowron. We're Klingons," says one Klingon truthfully.
>
>  Not everyone agrees that Klingon verbs can be used as casually as verbs of
>  saying as English ones.  I like your sentence, though. >>
>
> TKD does give {vIt} as a verb meaning "tell the truth".  It looks to me like
> the author has used {vIt} as a direct replacement for {jatlh}.  It is not a
> mere adverb.  I agree with the author's usage of {vIt}.

Well, I agree that it is a verb and not an adverb here (in
fact, it is not an adverb ANYWHERE), but as a verb, the
definition sounds rather intransitive:

<wo'rIv ghawran je. tlhIngan maH!> ja' wa' tlhIngan 'ej vIt.

I don't know that you could consider a direct quote to be a
truth. It may be a truthful statement, but it is not, in and of
itself a truth to be told. I could be wrong on this, but it just
doesn't feel right to pack a quotation into that definition.

> peHruS

charghwI'

Back to archive top level