tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 02 21:03:09 1997

Re: KLBC:some sentences

ja' Qov:
>}ja'be'ghach vI'Ip   I vow not to tell
>
>I'm guessing you are aiming at a literal meaning like "I swear the act of
>not telling."  Use the Klingon sentence-as-object tool to say "I swear that
>I won't tell."  {jIja'be' 'e' vI'Ip} If reading section 6.2.5 doesn't make
>it clear how that works, follow up and ask.

Don't forget the secrecy proverbs from Power Klingon!  They're idiomatic,
but they're perfect for expressing the idea here.  Part of what makes a
language distinctive is the not-quite-literal interpretations of certain
phrases, like {not mev peghmey} or {jIjatlhpa' jatlh Hovmey}.  Each of
these proverbs indicates that the person saying them expects to be trusted
with a secret, and the person being spoken to is supposed to honor that
expectation.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level