tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Nov 02 08:34:45 1997

Love is a many-splendored thing...WAS Re: KLBC

ghItlh Qov:

>qamuSHa' - I love you

Forgive me if this argument has come up before...

IMO, unless there's canon to prove me wrong, <muSHa'> is a poor way to
express love. <-Ha'> either undoes the verb or does it wrongly/poorly. <muS>
is glossed as "hate, detest". Either <muSHa'> is to hate poorly or
wrongfully (as when you hate someone because you think they did something
they did not) or it is to "un-hate" or "dis-hate".

What is the opposite of love? I don't think it's hate - hatred, like love,
involves interest in the other's situation (albeit for different motives) -
I feel indifference is the opposite of love. If Klingons do not disagree,
then <muSHa'> should be "no longer hate" or "hate wrongfully" and not
"love".

Perhaps Klingons have no word which corresponds to Terran "love" - perhaps
the best we can do is <bangwI' SoH> or <parmaqqaywI' SoH>. I think having no
one word meaning "love" would be just fine.

Qermaq

Back to archive top level