tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 01 21:56:24 1997

Seng yIghuH!

On Sat, 1 Nov 1997, Qov wrote:

|}Tech Support:  "What does the screen say now?"
|}Person:	 "It says, 'Hit ENTER when ready'."
|}Tech Support:  "Well?"
|}Person:  	 "How do I know when it's ready?"
|}
|}Is there a way to say in Klingon "Are you ready?" I took {ghuS} as being
|}ready, but I know it's used only for launching, so don't look if it makes
|}sense, just look at the grammar }};-)
|
|ghuS definitely only refers to being ready to launch projectiles, and makes
|no sense here.  To say "ready" in Klingon you must say what you are ready
|to do.  bItaghrup'a'?  bItaHrup'a'?  bImevrup'a'?  bIHeghrup'a'?

Though the pun would be lost in Klingon, -beH "ready, set up" (referring to
the computer) could be nicely contrasted with -rup (referring to the person
using the computer). Other ways to say "ready" are ghuH "prepare for" (i.e.
get ready) and the exclamations 'eH, SuH or Su' "Ready! Stand(ing) by!"

Voragh

Back to archive top level