tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Nov 01 16:35:29 1997

There's never a cop around when you need one!

On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Qov wrote:

|Doneq wrote:
|}tlhInganpu' legh chut polwI'.
|}A policeman sees the Klingons.
|
|The image I get for {chut polwI'} is a legislative compiler or guardian of
|the sacred tablets of the law of Kahless, someone who saves, keeps the laws
|rather than enforces them.  "Policeman" is tricky to translate with our
|vocabulary. Approaching the idea are {Hung yaS} {qopwI'}  {chut lobmoHwI'}.
|You can probably come up with something better than any of these.  There is
|likely not one Klingon term for all the sorts of police officers we have.

For a general term, consider our old friend {'avwI'}:

    1. mughoS 'avwI' 'ar?  (CK)   		    [or, nughoS?]
    2. tlhIngan 'avwI' lughom.  (PK)
    3. 'avwI'vaD jatlh qama' ...  (PK)
    4. 'avwI' nejDI' narghta'bogh qama' reH 'avwI' Sambej.  (TKW)
    5. 'avwI' Hay' yaS.  (KGT)

Although he always translates it as "guard," {'avwI'} often seems to mean
"cop" or "red shirt" (i.e. a security officer).  See example 2 in
particular: how do the two vacationing Fed crewmen know he's a guard?  And
what, exactly, does he guard?  In a sense, the police guard the citizenry
from each other.  And wasn't the passport control guy who interrogated the
arriving Terran at the Qo'noS spaceport also called a "guard" in English?

Voragh

Back to archive top level