tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 30 12:00:39 1997

Klingon for the Galactic Traveller

Voragh quoted Lawrence:

|The book is entitled: KLINGON FOR THE GALACTIC TRAVELER.
|
|Here's the blurb that appears in the catalog:

|"Didn't get a chance to buckle down and study the Klingon dictionary
|before your trip to Qo'noS? Don't worry, here's a user-friendly
|version to help |out on that next vacation. Whether one needs to buy
|extra sunblock or order the gagh [sic] extra-lively, this is the
|book to have in hand. It may not teach Hamlet's soliloquy in the
|original Klingon, but this translation guide is just the ticket for
|galactic travelers."

Is anyone else's anticipation of this book tinged with mild dread?
Certainly it will contain some useful new words, and some amusing but
useless ones.  Probably it will answer a few long argued idiom
questions, like "Where do you live" and how to give directions. This
is good.

I'm not sure what I'm apprehensive of.  A flood of new people on the
listeserver will drive some (probably including me) away with the
volume, but it will subside and leave us with a few more speakers.
There are bound to be interesting idioms that will
set us all arguing over whether what we used before was wrong,
the new one is an alternative or Marc made a mistake.  Maybe I'm just
lazy and I don't want to learn all the new stuff. :)

vIje' vIneHba', 'ach loQ vIHaj.

-Qov

Back to archive top level