tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 29 08:40:05 1997

Re: Spanish/Greek influence

: The best place to hear the Klingon I is on "Conversational Klingon" where
: Okrand demonstrates the difference between {tI} and {tI'}. I like to
: describe it as being like the dotless i in Turkish or bI (yery) in Russian
: -- both of which have a Spanish "ee"-type i as well. The closest we can get
: to that sound in Klingon is the diphthong Iy, as in {lIy} "comet".
:
: -- Voragh

Other Okrandian examples occurred to me after hitting the "Send" button:

mIy  "brag" (v)
This is another of Okrand's puns: when I brag I talk about "me"!

rabe'rIt 'o'raylIy  "Robert O'Reilly"
>From the list of actor's names transliterated in ST Communicator #104.

rIymuS  "Remus" (planet name)

wIy  "tactical display (on monitor)"
This was one of the eleven original Klingon words created by James Doohan
and Mark Lenard in the opening scene of STMP which Okrand used as the basis
for tlhIngan Hol, so this is a back-fit.

Hmmm... that's all I could find. It's obviously not common.

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level