tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 29 07:32:47 1997

Re: Spanish/Greek influence

Neal Schermerhorn wrote:
: Not entirely - The Klingon I is pronounced like "i in misfit" (TKD, p. 16),
: whereas the  Spanish i is pronounced like Enghlish ee (el dia bonito = ell
: dee-ah boh-nee-toh)  - the fact that it is the only capitalized Klingon vowel
: serves to remind us of the difference.

Good point. The capitalized letters are all pronounced differently than
their English equivalents.

The best place to hear the Klingon I is on "Conversational Klingon" where
Okrand demonstrates the difference between {tI} and {tI'}. I like to
describe it as being like the dotless i in Turkish or bI (yery) in Russian
-- both of which have a Spanish "ee"-type i as well. The closest we can get
to that sound in Klingon is the diphthong Iy, as in {lIy} "comet".

-- Voragh

Back to archive top level