tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 27 16:41:14 1997

RE: KLBC: Buy or Die

Stardate 97401.23 jatlh Q'ISto'va:

> bIje'be'chugh vaj bIHegh... okay, I know this is the caconical phrase "Buy
> or die".. though I find it interesting that translating it out into
> Terran, it becomes:
>
> bIje'be'chugh => If you do not buy
> vaj => then
> bIHegh => you (will) die
>
> Sure, it sounds sound (well IMHO it does), but it sounds so... "formal" ?

It sounds formal in English because we usually indicate a choice of two
alternatives by joining two imperatives with a conjunction.  In fact, there
are a number of {bI-V1-be'chugh vaj bI-V2} sentences which we've seen in
canon.  This suggests to me that this format is readily accepted by Klingons.
It also makes me wonder if {yIje' pagh yIHegh} even makes sense in Klingon.
{pagh} joins sentences, but we've never seen it join *imperative* sentences.
I doubt that this, while grammatically plausible, is actually used by
Klingons.

> I'm wondering why something like:
>
> bIHegh bIje'be'chugh
>
> could not be considered equally valid, the fact that "vaj" is now missing
> gives:
>
> If you do not buy, you will die...

There's no reason why this is incorrect.  However, Okrand seems to suggest
that {bIje'be'chugh vaj bIHegh} is a common utterance in Klingon shops (and
David Barron once grunted it to me as I was browsing over his T-shirts for
sale).

So, it probably only seems formal because of our English language biases.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level