tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 26 18:11:04 1997

RE: Practicing...

jatlh SuSvaj:

> > >Remember Azetbur's line in Star Trek 6:  {'e' neHbe' vavwI'}.
> >
> > jang Voragh:
> > >Or even:  {'e' neHbe' vavoy}.
> >
> > jIH:
> > >I'm pretty sure {vavoy} wasn't used in that line.  (It *was* spoken by
> > >Azetbur, untranslated, at the toast to the Chancellor at dinner.)
> >
> > Voragh:
> > >Get the tape out and listen again--it's there. I believe Krankor also
> quoted
> > >it in his early "From the Grammarian's Desk" article on {'e'}.
>
> jIQochnIS.  mu'tlheghvetlh vIQoyDI',<vavwI'> vIQoybej.

I'm playing it over and over again in full stereo sound right now, with
earphones and everything.  Here's a transcription of what I can make out:

'eH naHbe' vavoy

The first part is a bit off, but {vavoy} is very clear to me.  Her lips are
very rounded when she says it, which can make me understand how people hear
the {v} turning into a {w}, but there is absolutely no glottal stop on the end
of the word, and no {I}.  Not even an {Iy}, which one might expect a
non-Klingon actress to see the end of {vavwI'} as.

I have no doubt that the line was written (or rather, intended) as {'e' neHbe'
vavoy}.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian