tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 26 11:01:49 1997

Hebrew pronunciation (was Re: jajmey vItoghlI')

ja' Q'ISto'va:
>It amazes me that something like this should pop up... I was with my KAG
>meeting just today where I met a member who could also speak Hebrew, and
>found out that sounds in tlhIngan Hol, and pronounciation in most cases
>resembled that of Hebrew... Anyone care to make any further comment into
>this insight?

There is some similarity in Klingon and Hebrew pronunciation, particularly
the vowels and the consonant {H}.  But there are also distinct differences.
For example, Klingon has no "f" or "g" or "h" or "s" sounds, and Hebrew has
no {Q} or {j} or {tlh}.  (Well, tzade's "ts" comes close, and apparently is
the way the {tlh} sound is pronounced in the dialect used by the monitor at
the Klingon listening post in Star Trek VI.)

Back to archive top level