tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 25 18:32:02 1997

Re: Help (& please do not spam me for this)

This would be the toast I would make at such a wedding:

wanI'vammo' taghjaj tlhIngan tuq'a'.

"May this event begin a great Klingon house." (house, in the
sense of tribe or honorably prestigious family line)

Pronounce all the hyphens like the one in the word "uh-oh":

wahni-vahmmoe- tah[growl]jahdj tlingahn took-a-.

And yes, I did just make this up. You asked for five to twelve
words, but if you can handle these four, you'll perform
honorably. Klingon is a very concise language. It takes twice as
many words in English.

charghwI'

On Sun, 25 May 1997 07:46:41 -0700 (PDT)  Joseph J Bongiorno
<[email protected]> wrote:

> My problem (please bear with me):
> + My best friend is getting married in October & I am the best man
> + He is a fairly dedicated trekkor as well as a novice Klingon
>   language enthusiast (has the beginner book and an audio tape)
> + My "toast" at the reception will incldue an Italian
>   saying/blessing as well as a Gaelic one.
> + Recognizng his enthusiasm (and as a decent fan myself) I think
>   that a Klingon saying should be incorporated as well
> + I know maybe four words in Klingon
>
> Why should you consider helping me:
> + If you don't I'll try it anyway.  I'll by the book and do my best
>   but may end up dishonoring the lanaguage(which none of us want)
> + I'll at least introduce the language to 200+ people
> + It would be the honorable thing to do
> + If you all can't/won't help I don't know who would/could
>
> So could you help me with:
> + A 5 to 12 word saying appropriate for a wedding (I undestand
>   full well that it can't be schmaltzy or be about "sweet love",
>   but if extreme references to smashing enemies or something like
>   that could be avoided, that might work better)
> + I'll need the english and Klingon translations with phonetic
>   pronunciation help (& if possible an idea on how to get it into
>   the Klingon character set- I know there's a font out there)
>
> Thank you for you patience and, in advance, for you help.

Back to archive top level