tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 23 10:05:03 1997

Re: Must

ghunchu'wI' asked me:
> > > I don't understand what "this way" is, I guess.

and I said
> > well, as "separate" entities (separate from the verb without the suffix),
> > like SuStel said about V-moH

which SuStel corrected to:
> Okay, let's be clear on what SuStel said.  All I was pointing out was that
> confusion of this sort can be better sorted out (apparently I was wrong!) if
> one considers the verb plus its suffixes as a unit.
>
> jIHeghnIS
> I {HeghnIS}.
>
> qaHeghmoH
> I {HeghmoH} you.
>
> Now, ***DON'T*** ever copy this use of Klingon verbs in English sentences!
> (I'm just asking for trouble, aren't I?)  I'm only pointing out how my mind
> patterns Klingon verbs as I speak and think in Klingon.
>
> Once again, putting them into Klingon:
>
> jI[HeghnIS], not [jIHegh]nIS
>
> and
>
> qa[HeghmoH], not [qaHegh]moH and not qa]Hegh[moH.

I'm sorry, if you feel misquoted, but that's what I was trying to
say using less words; I obviously failed. I also seem not to have
gotten across that I am now convinced this is the best way to look
at it.

thank you (all) for discussing this, but I think I got it now :)

HomDoq

Back to archive top level