tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 22 20:00:19 1997

RE: Must

jatlh HomDoq:

> > >but does {-nIS} (and other type 2s) say something about the speaker or
not?

> > nuqjatlh?
> > All verbs, with or without suffixes, say something about the *subject*.
> ok, I was just using the same word as SuStel..., I think we both _meant_
> subject rather than speaker
>
> > >SuStel suggests that <verb>nIS should be treated similar to <verb>moH.
> > >maybe -moH and other prefix-mangling suffixes are not so good examples.
> >
> > nuqjatlhqa'? ;-)  What do you mean by "prefix-mangling"?
> > The only suffix I'd be inclined to use this term with is {-lu'}.
> >
> definitely, the {jIH} does different things in {jIHegh} and {jIHeghmoH},
> don't you think so? I was also counting {-'egh} and {-chuq} in that
> category; basically by "prefix-mangling" I meant that they shift the meaning
> of what the prefix references ({-lu'}, {-'egh} and {-chuq} are also
> restricting the allowed prefixes, but that's not what I meant)
> the {ma-} in {maqIp} means something different than in {maqIpchuq}
> (1pl subject - no/general object vs. 1pl subject - 1 pl object)
>
> > >-laH may be better... but there I have the same problem, with the type
> > >6s as well; on the other hand I have no trouble seeing V-3 and V-7 this
> > >way (like V-moH).
> >
> > I don't understand what "this way" is, I guess.
> >
> well, as "separate" entities (separate from the verb without the suffix),
> like SuStel said about V-moH

Okay, let's be clear on what SuStel said.  All I was pointing out was that
confusion of this sort can be better sorted out (apparently I was wrong!) if
one considers the verb plus its suffixes as a unit.

jIHeghnIS
I {HeghnIS}.

qaHeghmoH
I {HeghmoH} you.

Now, ***DON'T*** ever copy this use of Klingon verbs in English sentences!
(I'm just asking for trouble, aren't I?)  I'm only pointing out how my mind
patterns Klingon verbs as I speak and think in Klingon.

Once again, putting them into Klingon:

jI[HeghnIS], not [jIHegh]nIS

and

qa[HeghmoH], not [qaHegh]moH and not qa]Hegh[moH.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level