tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 22 06:32:47 1997

Re: Must

> >but does {-nIS} (and other type 2s) say something about the speaker or not?
>
> nuqjatlh?
> All verbs, with or without suffixes, say something about the *subject*.
ok, I was just using the same word as SuStel..., I think we both _meant_
subject rather than speaker

> >SuStel suggests that <verb>nIS should be treated similar to <verb>moH.
> >maybe -moH and other prefix-mangling suffixes are not so good examples.
>
> nuqjatlhqa'? ;-)  What do you mean by "prefix-mangling"?
> The only suffix I'd be inclined to use this term with is {-lu'}.

definitely, the {jIH} does different things in {jIHegh} and {jIHeghmoH},
don't you think so? I was also counting {-'egh} and {-chuq} in that
category; basically by "prefix-mangling" I meant that they shift the meaning
of what the prefix references ({-lu'}, {-'egh} and {-chuq} are also
restricting the allowed prefixes, but that's not what I meant)
the {ma-} in {maqIp} means something different than in {maqIpchuq}
(1pl subject - no/general object vs. 1pl subject - 1 pl object)

> >-laH may be better... but there I have the same problem, with the type
> >6s as well; on the other hand I have no trouble seeing V-3 and V-7 this
> >way (like V-moH).
>
> I don't understand what "this way" is, I guess.

well, as "separate" entities (separate from the verb without the suffix),
like SuStel said about V-moH

> >hmmm, I guess I'm letting myself be influenced too much
> >by the meaning of the suffixes
>
> I don't understand what you mean here, either.

what I was trying to say was that the _meaning_ of the suffixes influences
whether I can think of them as being able to form "separate" things in the
above sense and that that is probably not what a _Klingon_ feels

so let's conclude the discussion here by saying that probably to a Klingon
V-nIS et al. are similar to V-moH in that they have a defined meaning
even in the absence of context (which would be much easier for me to
understand, if Klingon had something like an infinitive)

or better yet: let's just conclude the discussion anyway :)

HomDoq

Back to archive top level