tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 21 21:47:51 1997

Re: Must

ja' HomDoq:
>but does {-nIS} (and other type 2s) say something about the speaker or not?

nuqjatlh?
All verbs, with or without suffixes, say something about the *subject*.
The only verb suffixes that are stated to relate to the speaker are the
type 6 "qualification" and type 8 "honorific" ones.

>SuStel suggests that <verb>nIS should be treated similar to <verb>moH.
>maybe -moH and other prefix-mangling suffixes are not so good examples.

nuqjatlhqa'? ;-)  What do you mean by "prefix-mangling"?
The only suffix I'd be inclined to use this term with is {-lu'}.

>-laH may be better... but there I have the same problem, with the type
>6s as well; on the other hand I have no trouble seeing V-3 and V-7 this
>way (like V-moH).

I don't understand what "this way" is, I guess.

>hmmm, I guess I'm letting myself be influenced too much
>by the meaning of the suffixes

I don't understand what you mean here, either.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level