tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 21 12:32:04 1997

Re: paqmaj Qaw' <Paramount> luneH jay'

ja' HetaQ

As it turns out I just got off the phone with my attorney.  The opinion of
the lawyers in this firm are that commercial use of tlhIngan Hol, *even in
original prose*, is a violation of copyright law.  On this point they are
not 100% certain but then nobody has tested it and they feel that it would
be quite expensive to test.  A hell of a lot more expensive than we can
afford.  We are exploring other avenues to keep this book on the market so
we haven't given up yet.
<<<

Okay... I don't get it. They authorize and publish a dictionary on the
language... they make a deal with Microsoft to put up the continuum... they
publish additional books, tapes and CD-ROM games that teach and encourage
the language... they even get MO to man the BBS!  BUT they won't let anyone
else use the language?!?! I hope that the courts will see that it is a
reasonable extention that if you create a language, publish that language,
actively support and encourage that language... that someone will use that
language and may even want to sell original works written in that language!
If anything this will increase the sales of their dictionary and other
products!

I have just ordered your book from the KLI site. I support your work. I
have some plans of my own to do some creative writing... Qapla'

SI'IluD
wa'Hu' jIboghbe'

Back to archive top level