tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 17 05:30:53 1997

Re: what is the klingon word ?

ghItlh INTERNET:[email protected]
>I would like to know the klingon version of these:
>
>"you are born in a barn"
>"squirrel nut zippers"
>"behave yourself"
>
>thank you!

Hmm.. I think that the perfect Klingon idiom for that first request would be
"qagh DaSopbe'."  To quote TKW:

"Everybody loves gagh, so if one is not eating it, something must be wrong.  The
expression is used to mean that there must be something wrong with someone or
that someone is acting suspiciously.  It is also a way to refer to somebody as a
coward.  For Klingons ... this is a rather mild dismissive remark, not a strong
insult."

Of course, if you mean to take it slightly literally, it probably indicates that
the insultee is a ... rgh, what's the word ... rustic, that's it.  If somebody
doesn't like gagh, that person's probably a rustic, or hillbilly maybe, which is
exactly what the phrase "you are born in a barn" means.

Qapla'
qoror

Back to archive top level