tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 16 08:53:38 1997

Anthem interpretation

I was watching the "Soldiers of the Empire" episode again last night and
put the antem in a tight loop on the VCR. I listened with closed eyes to
the fourth verse for about an hour. Could it be the following phrase:

Say'mo' 'ach chu' may' 'Iw
even though it is clean, battle blood is new

The closed captioning is:
Say moach chu may ew

If MO did write this, maybe he slipped into Klingon mode every once in a
while when putting down the words for the actors to say. In this case,
"may" could be the Klingon word for "battle" and not just a phonetic
spelling.
This follows the song to some extent as well:

Qoy qeylIS puqloD
Son of Kahless listen

Qoy puqbe'pu'
Daughters listen

yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'
Warriors brave and loyal

Say'mo' 'ach chu' may' 'Iw
even though it is clean, battle blood is new  (<-- very liberal translation
here)

maSuv manong 'ej maHoHchu'
we fight, we are passionate, and we kill perfectly

nI'be' yInmaj 'ach wovqu'
our life is short but very bright (<-- interesting choice of verb here
<wovqu'>)

batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq
vavpu'ma' DImuvpa' reH maSuvtaH
we certainly die with honor and before we join our fathers in the black
fleet we will always continue to fight,

Qu' mamevQo' maSuvtaH ma'ov
we won't stop the mission, we keep fighting, we compete.

SI'IluD
wa'Hu' jIboghbe'

Back to archive top level