tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 14 17:59:43 1997

RE: KLBC: basic klingon words

[email protected] on behalf of [email protected] wrote:
> what are the basic klingon words for:
>
> hello
> goodbye
> how are you
> good
> bad

Sounds like you haven't bought The Klingon Dictionary yet.  Do that.  It's
necessary in your study of Klingon.

Klingons do not say "hello," "goodbye," or other English politenesses.
Therefore, these words do not even appear in the language.  In Klingon, if
anything is to be said at all, it is {nuqneH} "What do you want?"

When warriors go off to battle, they often salute each other with {Qapla'}
"success."

There *are* verbs for "good" and "bad."  They are {QaQ} and {qab},
respectively.  However, if you're trying to express satisfaction with
something, instead of saying {QaQ}, say {maj}.  This doesn't *literally* mean
"good," it is simply an equivalent expression.

> and candidly.....
>     .....Toilet paper

"toilet" is {puch}, and "paper" is {nav}.  I presume Klingons would speak of
{puchnav}.

> BTW-what does TLHINGAN-HOL mean? one of my friends said it was a swear word.

It's all capitals and with a hyphen because it's an Internet address.
Correctly, it's

tlhIngan Hol
Klingon language

Get yourself a TKD ASAP!