tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 13 13:37:27 1997

Re: Must

> I think {jISopnIS} translates best as "I need food"; no "real" verb
> there, emphasis on the nouns "I" and "food". "need" merely relates
> the two. In Klingon {-nIS} _modifies_ the _sentence_ {jISop} in
> its entirety, all the information contained in that is equally
> relevant for {-nIS}.
>
> HomDoq

I don't quite understand where you are coming from on this.  The most
direct translation of <jISopnIS> is "I must eat."  In most cases, there is
no real difference in meaning between that and, "I need food" but the
former is still the most literal translation.

SuSvaj

Back to archive top level