tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 08 08:06:36 1997

Re: vaj KLBC

>Date: Wed, 7 May 1997 22:24:21 -0700 (PDT)
>From: [email protected]
>
>In a message dated 97-05-07 22:24:04 EDT, SuStel answers peHruS:
>
><< What, to you, is the difference between "dining room" and "banquet hall"
>that
> one and not the other should correspond to a particular Klingon phrase?
> Formality?  What makes {'uQpa'} more formal than {Sojpa'}?  Something else?
>  >>

>What if we discover from MO that {Sojpa'} actually means "pantry"?  Of
>course, until he says so, I won't claim that it could only mean "pantry."  I
>am merely stating that I had thought some time back about using {'uQpa'} for
>"dining room."  Personally, I still like it.

That's a very good point; I thought of it too.  Sojpa' makes a lot of sense
as "pantry."  Perhaps the odd thing about "'uQpa'" is that is sort of
implies that DINNER is eaten there, but not lunch or breakfast (or ghem).
I could believe that as an idiom, though (though we have no basis for it:
perhaps the main meal for Klingons, after which the room would be named, is
lunch, or breakfast, or elevenses or ghem).

~mark

Back to archive top level