tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 07 16:13:31 1997

RE: KLBC: Conversational Klingon

jatlh Edy Fonseca:

> 	There is a expression for "again"?  As:
>
>   here it comes again
>      or
>  I need read the TKD again and again
>
> I could guess:  ghoSqa' 'oH naDevDaq
>       and       tlhIngan mu'ghom vIlaDnISqa'qu'

Your second sentence about reading TKD again and again is excellent despite a
small problem.  You have to say {tlhIngan Hol mu'ghom}.  But the {-qu'} on
{-qa'} is brilliant!  It doesn't imply constant repetition, but I think it's
emphasizing exactly what you want.

The first sentence isn't right, though.  "Here it comes again."  Here *what*
comes again?  {ghoSqa'} "it resumes approaching," or {cholqa'} "it resumes
getting closer" might work as this sentence literally, but I think you're
trying to play with an idiom.  Is this the sort of thing you're saying when
you're exasperated with a situation?  "Oh no, not again"?  That sort of thing?
 That's an expression in English which shouldn't be taken literally.  An
appropriate Klingon invective would be {ghuy'cha'}, which Okrand says a
Klingon might say "after receiving an unsettling communique."

> > In this case, though, it's not necessary.
>
> 	So, an I say: rut jatlhtaHbogh mu'mey vIyajbe'   (?)
>                      (sometimes I do not understand the words which they are
>                      saying)

"They" are doing the saying, so "they" becomes the subject of the relative
clause.  What are they saying?  "Words."  This is the object of the relative
clause.  {mu'mey jatlhtaHbogh chaH}.  The {chaH} is optional, though, and may
be dropped.  {mu'mey jatlhtaHbogh} "words which they are saying."

rut mu'mey jatlhtaHbogh vIyajbe'.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian