tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 06 20:51:41 1997

Re: RE: Usage of "SIv"

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997 22:23:31 -0700 (PDT)  David Trimboli
<[email protected]> wrote:

> [email protected] on behalf of [email protected] wrote:
> >
> > I need to ask about the usage of the word "SIv", to wonder...

> I don't think we've ever seen Okrand use {SIv}, so I can't say for sure how
> it's correctly used.  {'e'} constructions might be the answer.
>
> paq laDta' *Anne* 'e' vISIv
>
> but this seems wrong to me somehow.

It seems wrong to me, too.

chaq paq laDta' *Anne*. jISIv.

For all we know, it may have less to do with unanswered
curiosity than with aimless daydreaming from sensory overload.

parmaq vIqelDI' jISIv.

At any rate, I cannot personally feel comfortable using it
transitively until I see an example in canon.
> Perhaps it would be better to simply ask your question than say you're
> "wondering" about that.  Until Okrand shows us how to use the word, I'd feel
> weird using it in anything beyond describing someone's state of mind.

Exactly.

> --
> SuStel
> Beginners' Grammarian