tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun May 04 08:48:19 1997

Re: "Soldiers of the Empire"

qoror wrote:

|2)  There's some dish called "stewed bak'lat liver."  It might be
|"bak'rat," but that's all I remember.  No real info on it, except that
|bloodwine can make it less bland.

I only just saw it last night. According to the closed captions, it's
"bok-rat" - presumably, a kind of edible Klingon rat. It was common enough
that (Curzon?) Dax had apparently eaten it before.

|3)  To my best guess, "To'vad Dok" is a moment when your thoughts are
|completely open to another, and a very special moment.

tova'dok

|4)  Then, "mak'ta'" means "Energize," or maybe "Warp speed."  Maybe it's
|like "targhlIj yIngagh yIruch" and "'uSDaj chop chev," where two verbs are put
|back to back.  If "mak" is some dialect word for "energize," then maybe it's
|Clipped and "ta'" is acting like "ruch."

It's "Mahk-cha!" actually. I take this to be "Klingonese" for "Engage (warp
engines)!" Note that Martok even used Picard's familiar "Wagens ho!" hand
gesture. Martok also says "Engage!" in English in another scene (using the
same gesture) and repeats "Mahk-cha!" (again with gesture) as the now gung
ho crew sings the anthem as they finally cross the border to deal with the
approaching Jem'Hadar ship and rescue the B'Moth survivors.

"Engage!" is one of the oldest Trekisms. Although many people think that
Picard coined it (he certainly made it his own), it was first used by Capt
Pike way back in the pilot, "The Cage," over 30 years ago. Kirk, it seems,
didn't care for it though I think even he said it a couple of times.

|Those of you sharper than most will remember that there's something I
|left out:  The Imperial Anthem is sung -twice-.  A good number of people are
|singing it in both cases, but Worf's voice is the loudest and is very clear.
|But I can't remember something that long very well.  On that note, I really
|wish someone -has- taped it.

Of course, I have it on tape. <g> In fact, the anthem is sung *three* times
all the way through: once (somewhat listlessly) just after Martok has
ordered "Maximum warp... Mahk-cha!" as they begin their mission and twice
in succession (enthusiastically) as the Rotarran crosses the border into
glory.

The song's captions are slightly different each time but I'll discuss that
in "The Klingon Anthem!" thread. I wanted to wait until I'd actually taped
and listened to the song before commenting on the mIqIraH's transcript and
making some unsupported guesses.  Unfortunately, here in Chicago we see
first-run DS9s nearly a week after the rest of the country.

|Qapla'

Or, "Q'apla!" as it's spelled in the closed captions.

-- Voragh

(Who is now very grateful that his TV set has the Closed Captioning chip --
though he didn't know it when he bought it four years ago.)

Back to archive top level