tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 02 14:04:52 1997

Re: The Klingon Anthem! At last!

Thomas K. O'Brien wrote:

> If anyone watched the latest (April 30) Deep Space nine, you would have
> heard a fairly clear singing of the anthem by Worf.  He started it with a
> clear "yIQoy qeylIS puqloDpu'", so I would believe that the
> translation/addidtions by charghwI' are closer to correct than any of the
> others.  Besides, it translates clearer!

Uhhh... that episode is the whole reason I posted the thing in the first
place!  The lyrics I gave were the closed captions from "Soldiers of the
Empire."  I taped the episode and have listened to it at least eight
times.  Worf CLARLY says: "Koy kay-less pook-load," which we all can
interpret as meaning {Qoy qeylIS puqloD}.  There is not, repeat NOT, a
{yI-} prefix, nor is there a {-pu} suffix.  Here's what I've got as the
most acceptable translation, based on everything I've gotten so far.
I'd especially like charghwI's opinion, since this version seems to take
into account some of the abnormalities he mentioned... what do you
think?  I really don't know about lines 3&4, but if Okrand DID write it,
he might have given us some sort of new canon.  Don't worry, though, I
won't even consider this canon until Okrand makes any sort of note of
it... the questionable lines are 3&4 marked with question marks.  Can
anybody make sense of them?  The rest seems to work well, if we consider
the that one {ma-} in the final line to really be a {Da-}, which isn't
unreasonable.

Qoy qeylIS puqloD
Qoy puqbe'pu'
?yoHbogh matlhbogh je SuvwI'?
?SeymoHchu' ma'yu'?
maSuv manong 'ej maHoHchu'
nI'be' yInmaj 'ach wuv Qu'
batlh maHeghbej 'ej yo' qIjDaq
vavpu'ma' DImuvpa' reH maSuvtaH
Qu' DamevQo' maSuvtaH, ma'ov'

Kahless' son listens
Daughters listen
?The brave, the loyal and the warrior?
?Are clearly exited when we question them?
We fight, we are pssionate, and we kill perfectly
Our lives are short, but our mission depends on them!
We definately die honorably, and in the Black Fleet,
Before we join our fathers, always we are fighting
We refuse to stop the mission, we continue to fight, we complete.

-mIqIraH

Back to archive top level