tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 31 19:43:32 1997

RE: KLBC: lutwIj wa'DIch

On Monday, March 31, 1997 2:38 PM, [email protected] on behalf of Matthew
Johnson wrote:

> wa'SaD wa'ben, may''a' tu'lu'.
> [1001 years ago, there was a great battle.]
>
> qeylIS Suv qor.
> [qor fought qeylIS.]

pIm qar'a' *qor*vam, *qor* Sovbogh *Dax*?

> HIvchuqtaH.
> [They continually attacked each other.]

Perhaps this would do in some form of poem, but generally, you'd want {-lI'}
here, not {-taH}.  You don't attack someone without a goal in mind: that of
defeating your opponent.

HIvchuqlI'

> qor rIQ.
> [qor was injured.]

You have written this sentence backwards.  Remember, Kor is the subject.

rIQ *qor*.

> qor pum.
> [qor fell (to the ground)]

Same problem.

pum *qor*.

> qeylIS qIpqa'.
> [qeylIS hit him again.]

And again.

qIpqa' qeylIS.

> qeylIS Qapba'mo', qor Hegh
> [qeylIS obviously won, because qor died.]

The sentence order is still backwards, but now you've also got the {-mo'} in
the wrong place.  "Because Kor died."  {Heghmo' *qor*}

Qapba' qeylIS, Heghmo' *qor*.

> [I hope this is alright. I was unsure as to where to put the mo' in the
> last phrase (after the first or second verb?), whether HIvchuqtaH said
> what I meant, and the word order on qeylIS Suv qor - I was fairly sure
> it should be obj - vb - subj.]

Yes, it should be, but you don't seem to see which is the subject and which is
the object.  The person or thing performing the action is the subject.  If Kor
died, then Kor is the subject, because he is doing the dying.  {Hegh *qor*}.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level