tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 31 08:51:50 1997

Re: KLBC: Practicing...

jatlh SuStel:

> > I debated for a long time about this one.  I ultimately decided to just
> > use the English.  There's not really a reason, but to me "a couple"
> > seems a little more slang and informal that "a few."
>
> Oh?  How so?

I'm really not sure.  Maybe its just me, but I think of them as being
very *subtly* different.  For example, I cannot see a government
official at a press conference and responding to a question (Let's just
say, "When will the new policy take effect?") with something like, "In a
couple of days."  However, I can see the government official saying "In
a few days."  I might just be manufacturing this distinction in my own
head (probably); do you see what I'm saying?  The point is really moot
since there isn't a Klingon word for "couple" anyway!

> Really?  I'd say that "cook" is closer to the correct connotation than "make"
> is, and much better than "cause to take form."  Don't get hung up with the
> English words; our purpose is to communicate accurately, not translate
> word-for-word.

I suppose it could be true... I guess I was just thinking that breaking
the eggs (and hence adding them) is part of the initial "making'
process, a process that's already completed by the time you sart cooking
them.  After reading it a few more times, I agree that it would make
more sense for the Klignon speaker if I used {vut}; cause to take form
could mean so many things.

> Remember, not everyone agrees that this is the correct way to use verbs of
> saying.  There are some who believe that the quotation *is* the object.  I
> disagree, but I cannot tell you that you are definitely wrong.

I am aware of the argument, and, as I think about it, I agree with you
on this one.  Based on the canon {tlhInagn Hol Dajatlh'a'} from TKD, it
seems clear to me that in Klingon you speak a *language*, not the words
that come out of your mouth.

> They came out well.  Don't try to mimic English, just speak clearly in
> Klingon.

lu'!

bong DIvI' Hol vIjatlhpu' qajangpu'DI'.
tlhInagn Hol vIqeqnIS, DIvI' Hol vIqeqnISbe'!
DIvI' Hol vIjatlhlaHchu'.

-mIqIraH

Back to archive top level