tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 30 10:24:24 1997

RE: double ways of seeing translation

jatlh qoror:

> 	I won't try to translate any of this stuff *except* the "Of course."  Say
> you defy a lot of grammar and have him say:
> 	"-bej."
> 	..or "definitely."  But think.  If this is Clipped Klingon, it actually
> means "Watch," or maybe "Just watch."  It's not exactly what he said, but it
> carries across the exact same meaning.  What do you think?

I don't think it works.  For one thing, "just watch" is an English expression,
and I don't see any reason why it should carry over to Klingon.  Furthermore,
you're talking about someone using a verb suffix as a word, which just doesn't
work.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian