tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 28 15:30:15 1997

Re: <noun>-mo' <verb>-be'

ghItlh qhunchu'wI'
>I think the Klingon is ambiguous.  {-be'} sometimes seems to negate only
the verb or the suffix it follows, but it sometimes seems to negate the
entire sentence, adverbials and subordinate clauses and all.<

That brings up something I've wondered about.  In "jagh'a'qoq," would "-qoq"
refer to the so-calledness of "-'a'" or "jagh?"  In other words, does it mean
"the great so-called enemy" or "the so-called great enemy?"  With things like
rovers, in verbs, "-be'nIS," means "need to not ____," and "-nISbe'" means
"doesn't need to _____."   But with nouns, things aren't so simple.  --qoror

Back to archive top level