tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 28 09:50:56 1997

Re: Soppy Klingon

chj wrote:

> There isn't actually a verb for love in Klingon to my knolledge.  However
> below I has used "bang" as a verb.  I don't know if this is authodox and I
> shouldn't be doing it but perhaps it is possible????

NO!  {bang} only refers to "one who is loved, beloved, etc."  In
otherwords, a {bang} is a person, not an emotion or a verb!  It is not a
verb or noun for the emotion love.  {muSHa'} is the generally accepted
way of saying love as a verb, as in {qamuSHa'}.  The quasi-canonical
word {parmaq} is most likely the noun for love, based on its usage in
"Looking For Par'Mach in All the Wrong Places."  However, is is probably
best to avoid using it until Okrand gives us some more hard data.

> 1. qabangqu'

Nope, see above.

> However this is your safest bet:
>
> 2. SoH bangwIjvaD

That won't work either, as {bang} does not literally mean "love" in the
sense of an emotion, but it means love in the sense of a person.  Sort
of like saying "honey, sweetheart, etc." when referring to your loved
one.

> Lit. translated as "My love is intended for you"

As I said, this doesn't work so this translation is inaccurate in
context.  Unless of course you want to give somebody a cared for person
who can't talk... {{:-)

-mIqIraH

Back to archive top level