tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 26 22:38:01 1997

RE: KLBC: lIy Hale-Bopp

ghItlh SuStel:

> jatlh DaQtIq:

>> ghItlh [email protected]:
>> >wa'Hu' ram, lIyHey vIlegh. Hov rur 'ach ngup wew tuQ 'oH. 'IHqubej.
>>
>> batlh bIjatlh. lIy DaDelchu'. majQa'!
>>
>> Dun <ngup wew>. qar 'ej 'IH.

> 'IHbej, 'ach qarbe'.

> As I have pointed out, {wew} means "glow," not "be glowing," so it
cannot be
> used adjectivally.  You'd have to say {wewbogh ngup}.

loQ jIQoch. <ngup wew> mub 'e' vItoblaHbe', 'ach mubHa'bej vItoblaHbe'
je.
Klingon may not be as restrictive about stative verbs as we generally
think.
The official word from TKD 4.4 is: "A verb expressing a state or quality
can be
used immediately following a noun to modify that noun." It gives examples
of <tIn> (be big) and <Doy'> (be tired). However, much like the endless
transitivity arguments, some verbs not defined as "be something" may be
open to interpretation. I think <wew> and <Qong> are two such words. I
don't plan to use them as stative verbs without further support, but I
think there
is room for argument.

pagh

Back to archive top level