tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 26 18:53:18 1997

Re: Dax & nuq Hech jIH

ja' janSIy:
>Watch the scene again.  I remember seeing all that and being terribly
>impressed
>that nuqneH had been used correctly.  K'Ehleyr has just arrived on the ship.
>Nobody knows what she's really doing there.  Before she has a chance to speak
>Riker welcomes her in Klingon.  I don't remember exactly what he said, but it
>was something like, "You have arrived on the Starship Enterprise.  What do you
>want?!"  I thought it was exactly the way a Klingon would use nuqneH (if
>not the
>way they would pronounce it).

Here's how *I* remember the scene:

The sensor probe is beamed aboard and opened.  Doctor Pulaski scans its
passenger and seems intrigued by the readings.  K'Ehleyr removes her
life-support mask, revealing herself to be a Klingon.  She says, in a
somewhat sing-song manner, "I greet you.  I am K'Ehleyr."  Commander
Riker blurts out, in a VERY bad accent, "nookney kelagness."  K'Ehleyr,
sonding surprised, replies, "You speak Klingon."

Yes, {nuqneH} indeed would seem appropriate here.  She has appeared and
merely identified herself, and has yet to explain her reason for being
there.  But adding {qaleghneS} (or trying to) completely blows away the
reasonableness of the response in my mind.  *Maybe* if it had been the
other way around -- {qaleghneS. nuqneH.} -- it would seem okay.

But that's just my opinion.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level