tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 26 05:23:56 1997

Re: paqghommey

jatlh maqlIy:
>> DaH tlhIngan Hol neH vIghoj.  chay' Qub ghotpu' 'e' vIghojmeH Holmey vIHad.
>> I am learning only Klingon now.  I study languages in order to learn how
>> people think. [Read Whorf at an impressionable age.]

jatlh
> What we have here is a question-as-object.  There is a lot of talk about
> whether this sort of thing would be allowed in Klingon.  I happen to
believe
> it is not.  Does this make any sense to you:
>
> I study languages in order that I learn that how do people think?
>
> That's essentially how it comes off in Klingon. [...]

Well, if you read it off as two sentences you get
    How do people think?
    I study languages in order to learn that.

which is very readable, and probably the way you'd be thinking if you didn't
want to do a DIvI' Hol translation.  I suppose the only problem is Okrand
hasn't been seen doing it yet (constructing those sentences, that is).

voqHa'wI'

[email protected], http://mailhost.net/~fprefect
# IT'S A SMEGGING GARBAGE POD!!
#     -- Rimmer, Red Dwarf I-4 "Waiting For God"

Back to archive top level