tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 21 19:50:24 1997

RE: question about 'ar

jatlh HurghwI':

> jatlh SuStel:
> >However, there's an error in the sentence you didn't want.  You cannot use
> >{-lu'} and {-laH} on the same verb.  They are both Type 5 suffixes.  Also,
> >think you're missing a {-be'} somewhere.
>
> I'm curious how one would go about saying "It can't be understood," or "It
> is inedible."

In most cases, you don't need to use both suffixes.  {'oH yajbe'lu'} "one does
not understand it."  This would probably go over just as well; if one does not
understand it, it's probably because one cannot understand it.

However, there are times when this is not enough.  Sometimes the above meaning
is not quite right, or we want to say your sentence, "It is inedible."  Each
case must be handled uniquely.  For "it is inedible," I'd say

'oH SoplaHbe' tlhIngan

or

'oH SoplaHbe' ghot.  (If it's not just Klingons we're taking about.)

(heh . . . or even {SuQ Sojvetlh})

Sometimes, you may use {vay'} as the subject.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level