tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 20 18:03:38 1997

RE: tlhab ja'qu'ghach

jatlh qoror:

> Message text written by "David Trimboli"
> >It's not the *translation* I do not accept, it is the *concept*.
> <
>
> You're right, sorry.  But what about "minor everything?"  It *is* canonical.

Quite true.  It's canonical, but do you understand it perfectly?  Why does it
come *after* the noun?  Alan Anderson used it in his story in {jatmey}, with
it coming after the noun (whereas {Hoch} usually comes before the noun).  That
was interesting; he was suggesting that {HochHom} is a special word which does
not act exactly like {Hoch}.  The bottom line is that we have but one instance
of the word, and no explanation.  My instincts tell me that Marc Okrand was
simply looking for a quick way to write "almost," and jotted that down.  I
also suspect it was before he decided exactly how {Hoch} works.

If you use {HochHom} in a sentence, I won't tell you it's WRONG, but I'll make
sure to point out that it's not certain how to use it, either.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level