tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 19 16:18:29 1997

RE: some tidbits qororvo'

On Wednesday, March 19, 1997 8:16 AM, [email protected] on behalf of Dr.
Lawrence M. Schoen wrote:

> In this particular instance there's more at work than just grammar though.
We're
> told explicitly that Klingons are very touchy about the uses of the suffix
> <<-vIp>>, that there are taboos associated with it.  Now you might argue
that
> this is actually support for a special use of it, since it is already a
marked
> suffix, and you could make a legitimate case for suggesting that.  But in
the
> absence of any such evidence, the more conservative approach (i.e., don't
commit
> yourself one way or the other) would seem the better way to go here.

I agree entirely with Lawrence here (and I really like the Chomsky example),
but remember that the only taboos which we are told are associated with {-vIp}
are when the subject indicates "I" or "we."

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level