tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Mar 13 12:39:47 1997

Re: Addendum 6.4 Syntax

>Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 12:22:02 -0800 (PST)
>From: Marian Schwartz <[email protected]>
>
>Message text written by voqHa'wI'
>>At 19:27 12/03/97 -0800, you wrote:
>> In my addendum (pg 179) the "Tag question are formed by using the
>> verb "gar" (with "g")", but in the examples they are using "qar" (with
>> "q").  Wich one is the correct?
>
>Given that there is no "g" in tlhIngan Hol, it is definitely {qar'a'}.
>
>voqHa'wI'<
>
>It's just a typo.  The transition from <q> to <g> happens somewhere else, too.
>Given that <q> and <g> are nowhere near each other on the keyboard, maybe Okrand
>uses a Dvorak keyboard instead of a Qwerty.  (I don't know if <q> and <g> are
>next to each other there on the Dvorak keyboard, but i do know that the Dvorak
>keyboard is way different.  --qoror

No, q and g are nowhere near each other in the Dvorak layout.  Yet there
are several cases where we have "g" for "q" (see also p.175, "*bIganmo'"
for "bIqanmo'").  The answer is probably as simple as the fact that the
letters g and q resemble each other, at least in some typefaces and
handwritings, and somewhere along the line some person or program was
trying to "correct" the unusual use of q (with no u following).  It was
probably a proofreader who either did the job too well or not well enough,
and determined it should be g.

~mark

Back to archive top level