tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 10 06:01:10 1997

Re: Extra stuff qororvo'

Marian Schwartz wrote:
> >> Now, however, I have realized some adverbs in tera'ngan Hol that take
> >> articles, and in fact don't work the same way without the articles!
> >> Ready? "A lot" and "a bit," in such sentences as "he sleeps a lot,"
> >> and "he works a bit."[...]
> What I mean is that -- well, theoretically, in English only nouns take
> articles. So in English we have adverbs that behave slightly like nouns,
> and in tlhIngan Hol we have nouns that behave like adverbs.

Dap Dajatlh 'e' yImev.  DIp bIHmo' _lot_ _bit_ je mu'mey'e', batlh
DIpngu'wI'mey laj.  wotDelwI' bIH _a lot_ _a bit_ je mu'nawloghmey'e'
net chaq lajqang, chaq lajQo', ram; 'ach DIpngu'wI'mey lajbe' bIH; ngaS.
vaj DIp Dabe'.

That won't fly, I fear.  The words _lot_ and _bit_ are nouns, and they
take articles by virtue of that.  The phrases _a lot_ and _a bit_ (which
one may or may not choose to handle as adverbs, it doesn't matter) don't
take articles, they contain them.  So they don't behave as nouns.

--'Iwvan

--
"reH Sov yInej 'ej Dap yImuS,          <dOstI bA mardom-e dAnA nEkO-st,
 jagh val qaq law' jup QIp qaq puS"     do^sman-e dAnA beh az nAdAn dOst>

Back to archive top level