tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 09 11:06:30 1997

RE: KLBC : I need help.

jatlh chech pIn'a':

> nuqneq

The word is pronounced {nuqneH}.

> 	I have been trying to translate my signature file (see below) into
> tlhIngan Hol, so far I have been able to translate the words(I think) but
> the sentence structure is a
> <mong 'oy'>

Cute.

> English		tlhIngan
> ------------------------------------

Don't just write {tlhIngan}; that refers to a Klingon.  If you mean the
Klingon language, you must write {tlhIngan Hol}.

Working out word-for-word what you're trying to translate isn't really the way
to go.  I'll go over this, but then I'll start from scratch below.

> That		'e'

Wrong kind of "that."  See TKD 6.2.5.  {'e'} is a special pronoun which refers
to the entire previous sentence.

There's also the noun suffix {-vetlh}, but given how we're using it, I don't
think this is entirely needed either.

> Time		poH

Yes.  Remember, {poH} is more than just "time," it's "period of time."

> Once		wa'logh

This word must be used at the beginning of a sentence to indicate that the
action occurs one time.  It may work, let's see.

> Month		jar
> When		ghorgh

This is a question word.  If you use it, you must be asking a question.
You're not.  In fact, we won't be needing this word at all.

> Women		be'pu'
> Behave		Da
> The way

This will be included in the verb {Da}.  "Behave in the manner of."

> Males		loDpu'    (not sure that pu' is the correct plural)

Yes, it is.

> all		Hoch
> Time		poH

"All the time" is not *{Hoch poH}; this means "every period of time."  Rather,
there's an adverbial, {reH} which means "always."

> I think I got most of it wrong :)

Yes.  Keep working, and read TKD chapter 6 carefully!

>                                  P.M.T.
>   That time once a month, when women behave
>                the way men do all the time

The main problem with translating signature lines is that they tend to be cute
and witty, and difficult to translate while still maintaining the joke.  First
off, there's no phrase in Klingon to mean "pre-menstrual syndrome," or
"pre-menstrual time," which is what I think your acronym stands for.

Next, we have to completely change the structure of this sentence.  If you
examine it in English, you'll see that it is not a complete sentence.  The
Klingon equivalent would does not have a matching form.

Hmmm . . . I know how to say this, but it's a very complex thing to say.  I
don't know how to explain it to you without writing a novel on the subject.
I'm going to write it, but you're not going to like it.  (Then again, I don't
like the sentiment anyway, so . . .)

reH taHqeq DataH loDpu'.
qaStaHvIS Hoch jar, wa'logh loDpu' Da be'pu'.

Men are always behaving like {taHqeq}s (whatever one is).
During each month, women will behave like men once.

If you can follow that, good.  If not, let me know what you have trouble with.
 This is not an exact translation.  If anybody's got a better version, now's
the time.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian